Wednesday, August 12, 2009

You know you're NOT in Utah when...

So we've successfully survived the first two weeks of living in California. I say survived not because California is that awful, but because moving in and of itself is NOT my favorite thing to do, and uprooting a two year old and yanking her hundreds of miles from everything she knows is a little traumatizing.

We're also surviving the beginnings of what I foresee to be a very long 4 years of pharmacy school. My diligent husband is already in his "groove" at school. This is where I often hear frustrated grunts and G-rated curse words mumbled from the corner where he's working. It's also a reality that we won't get to spend much time with him because Touro University has assumed ownership of his soul and every spare minute of time.

Kassidy and I are acclimating though. We took a very hot 20 minute walk to the nearest park today and met some kids (I tried to force Kassidy to play in the sandbox with them and received shrieks of "I'm dirty! Wipe me!" The kid doesn't like to get dirty...where'd that come from?) We have a few ward friends and are enjoying being forced to introduce ourselves and ask names repeatedly.

Now for the real reason I'm posting. I've been taking some pictures around the area and I've noticed things are a little different here. Thus the title, You know you're not in Utah when (I borrowed the idea from the Johnson's cute post, You know you're in the city when). Enjoy!

You know you're not in Utah when...

You need a map to find your way to the nearest Wal-mart (seriously)...

Instead of wave runners on Utah Lake, you see these in the bay. It's amazing to me that they can even float-they are enormous!

The trees have a little more attitude...

The ocean creatures walk right up out on the street...

Even at 1:00pm on a Thursday, this is what traffic looks like!

The cars run on cables...


You have to go over a bridge to get anywhere (And they charge you for it! You'd think the state would be rich off of tolls alone. We've already gotten a toll violation, don't ask Kevin about it!)

The local pets have a slightly different bark than we're used to...

We miss our UTAH and everyone in it!!

7 comments:

Bryan and Christy Clark said...

I do miss Utah sometimes too but you are so lucky to be in california! how many people get such a fun chance to live somewhere fun and different for a couple years and know it is permanent.

Ryan & Amanda said...

Kassidy is adorable in that last picture, and you definitely have some fun unique things around you!

Dallas said...

Fun post! You have such cute, fun comentary to your pictures. I especially like the "bark" one. That picture of Cassidy at the end is great. She is still as darling as ever. Oh, I wish we could be lonely wives together while our husbands are working their brains out, if only, if only. We will just have to keep in contact through blogs I guess.

The Conders said...

I'm sure you guys miss Utah, but what an exciting little adventure for your little family. Good luck with everything and have fun!

Whitney said...

I think this my favorite post ever!!! Missing you guys like crazy. The area is gorgeous can't wait to come visit!

Cammee said...

Love your clever post! What a fun, and probably overwhelming adventure!

Jeremy 'n Brandy said...

I am going to be a new commenter on your blog. Hope you don't mind. Just want you to know that traffic looks like that even on Sundays where in Utah the freeways are completely EMPTY. Very cute post.