Sunday, October 17, 2010

The sewing bug

I lucked out this month when my friend bought herself a new sewing machine. The old machine made its way to my hands, making me feel like it was an early Christmas. I've been wanting a sewing machine for a while, but haven't wanted it bad enough for it to be my entire Christmas or birthday present just because I wasn't sure how much I would actually use it. Lucky me, I now have one for free! It's work great and I'm determined to teach myself to sew.

Except for my 8th grade TLC class (remember that?), I have zero sewing experience. Well, my little yodeling cowgirl stated that she wants her brother to be Woody (from Toy Story) for Halloween. I couldn't see how I was going to be able to find a very miniature cowboy costume for my 3 month old, so I decided to take a whack at sewing my own. It's been a lot funner than I expected and a nice release from a busy day being mommy.

I still have a long ways to go, but I'm learning from my mistakes and having a good time doing it! Thank goodness for the internet. I've been able to find tutorials and free patterns for lots of fun projects.
Here's Kassidy's costume, and NO, I didn't make it. But I did make her a trick-or-treat bag out of Korbin's left over fabric.
Korbin's cowboy vest and badge
I had so much fun with the vest that I decided to make Kassidy an apron so she can help me cook. The pattern is really cute. You can't tell, but it's an orange paisley print. Don't look too close or you'll see all my mistakes :)
Here's to many more late night sewing projects!

9 comments:

Amber said...

You're so domestic! I love the costumes, but especially love the apron. You're going to love having a sewing machine!
How do you have time to sew though?!

Melanie said...

Way too go Robyn! I have a sewing machine. But do I ever use it? LOL The vest is so cute. I can't wait to see pictures of him wearing it. How fun!

Matthew and Lindsey said...

I love your new family picture. What a cute little family!

kim said...

Awesome I am sew impressed ha ha pun intended. But seriously I love the apron and vest. Robyn you are so great thanks for sharing. Oh Moda Bake shop is a great website for free patterns too. I Love love your family picture.

Dallas said...

Great Job Robyn! You are a natural! I also LOVE your family picture.

The Leeflangs said...

You are so talented! your kiddos are getting so big and they look ready for halloween for sure! you are such a cute mom!

Kristin said...

Way to go!! I tried sewing, too. I sewed some jedi costumes for the kids. They definitely aren't perfect, but I was very proud of myself. :) the stuff you sewed looks awesome. Good job.

McCall said...

You are so domestic! Good for you! I love it!

Cammee said...

I'm impressed! I love all the free patterns and ideas in blogland. Korbin must be a good baby for you to get all of that done!